I'm taking a break from the movies over the next few days, and I've travelled up to Edinburgh to watch some shows in the Fringe. Reviews are incoming - watch this space! But before I left London, I caught a few movies.
Nimrods is a rambunctious cross-country road movie following three dopey teens for a rendezvous in Los Angeles with Green Day. It's too messy to be a classic, but will definitely find a cult following. And Anne Hathaway and Ewan McGregor dive fully into the chaos of
The End of Oak Street, as their suburb is invaded by voracious dinosaurs. This is a pure guilty pleasure, worth seeing on a big screen laughing and screaming along with the crowd.
 |
BEST OUT THIS WEEK: Tony • Nimrods The End of Oak Street Songs of Forgotten Trees ALL REVIEWS > |
Claire Foy and Andrew Garfield lead a strong British cast in the colourfully quirky fantasy
The Magic Faraway Tree, based on the beloved Enid Blyton novel. A blast of sharp wit makes this a lot more fun than expected. Agniezka Holland's
Franz is an impressively artful, fascinating but too-fractured biopic about legendary author Franz Kafka. The queer Australian horror
Leviticus has an unusually romantic undercurrent that evokes very deep emotions amid some terrifying grisliness. And Anuparna Roy's award-winning Indian drama
Songs of Forgotten Trees is a beautifully observed story of two young women facing challenges in the big city.
Finally, there were two more films that are premiering at the Edinburgh International Film Festival this week, including Queen at Sea, a powerfully involving British drama featuring devastating performances from Juliette Binoche and Tom Courtenay. And the entertaining documentary The Mad World of Harvey Kurtzman traces the life of the creator of Mad magazine. It's also a remarkable look at the emergence of comic books and mid-20th century pop culture.
Coming up this next week, after I get back to London, I'll be watching Hugh Jackman in
The Death of Robin Hood, Andrew Scott in
Pressure, the comedy
Gail Daughtry and the Celebrity Sex Pass, the Bolivian drama
The Condor Daughter and the documentary
Super Nature.
No comments:
Post a Comment